There're many music stocks on the internet that offer royalty free music under various types of licenses.
The case is that there’re no standard terms of using the music, each platform develops their own licensing system depending on the target audience, business goals, and the provided content quality.
Why do I need a license?
Almost all the music in the world is copyrighted, except Public Domain pieces that are not protected by intellectual property laws. All the other materials need to be licensed under Royalty Free or Protected (or Managed) Rights license for further use.
So if you use a composition without a license, you actually violate a copyright which may end up with a fine or even court proceedings.
Royalty Free Music is the most convenient solution for those who need a background soundtrack for a certain project.
Why so? Because you don’t have to pay royalties for each time the music is used. That’s why it’s called Royalty Free. Buying a license for royalty free music, you save a fortune and protect your project from being deleted or banned because of copyright infringement issues.
What types of licenses does Scott Holmes Music offer?
We’ve tailored 5 licenses to cover all the possible needs. Whether you’re a beginner YouTuber, small business owner, corporate enterprise or a filmmaker, you’ll find the license to suit your project.
No Commercial Use
• Price: £0.00 (FREE)
• Allowed use: Non-commercial projects. When the project is sharing (e.g. online), you must attribute to the author or the source of the composition.
• Examples: You will need a FREE CC License if:
- You’re an individual creating a slideshow, home video to post on YouTube
(without promoting a brand, product, service or monetization) of graduations, holidays, birthdays, digital Christmas greetings, etc.
- You’re a student and need to create a project for learning purposes.
- You’re broadcasting a podcast or radio with no commercial intentions (i.e promoting, brands, business, products, services, sponsors, ad rev, donations, etc)
- You’re an employee for a corporate company preparing an internal presentation (external use would require a Standard License)
• Price: £25.00
• Allowed use: Commercial and non-commercial projects including YouTube monetization, paid work, web advertise, company marketing, product presentation, music on hold, etc. No attribution required.
• Examples: You need a Standard License if:
- You want to monetize your YouTube videos with fresh music!
- You’re making a non-commercial project but don’t want to attribute to the author or this is impossible (e.g. a background music for a local fair).
- You’re responsible for digital marketing in your company and you create the content for social media.
No matter how large your audience is (product presentation, brand identity, service announcements).
- Your company’s looking for on-hold music to replace the usual beeps.
- You’re a freelance videographer and create wedding or party videos for further personal use i.e. paid work. However, publication and distribution via CDs, DVDs or USB’s would require a Broadcast License).
Broadcast License A (audience reach up to 1 million only) – £49.00
Broadcast License B (audience reach up to 10 million only) – £99.00
Full-Scale License (UNLIMITED audience reach) – £249.00
• Allowed use:
Further to the uses authorized by the Standard License, these licenses allow for Commercial and non-commercial use on projects including podcast, audiobook application, software & video game distribution and publication, TV/Radio broadcast, local TV/Radio advertise, background music in public places, Film & Indie festivals. No attribution required.
• Examples: You will need a Broadcast A/B or Full-Scale License if:
- You earn money through sponsors, ad rev, donations and want to add music to your new podcast intro.
- You’d like to have background music in your beauty salon, bar, hair-dressers, showroom, shopping mall or gym.
- You’re working on a mobile app or video game that needs background music to build excitement.
- You want to add sound to an audiobook.