First, it’s important to understand why you need a music license when adding background music to video, film or multimedia projects.
Most music in the world is copyrighted, except Public Domain audio files which are not protected by intellectual property laws. All the other musical compositions need to be licensed under Royalty-Free licenses for further use.
If music is used carelessly without obtaining the correct license type, you actually violate the licensor’s copyright which may end up with a strikes against your channel on YouTube or even court proceedings.
That’s why we’ve decided to write this guide with clear and helpful instructions on how our licensing structure works at Scott Holmes Music.
What types of licenses does Scott Holmes Music offer?
We’ve tailored 4 licenses to cover all types of uses, from non-commercial projects to commercial projects worldwide.
1. Free Creative Commons License
2. Standard License
3. Broadcast & Full Scale Licenses
4 All Access Pass Memberships
Whether you’re a beginner YouTuber, small business owner, corporate enterprise or a filmmaker, you’ll find a license to suit your project.
Price: £0.00 (FREE)
Non-commercial projects only.
Artist credit is mandatory when sharing online:
“track name” by scottholmesmusic.com
You can license our music under the FREE CC License if:
- You’ve created a video of your dog to share on YouTube for personal use.
- You’re a student and need to create a project for learning purposes.
- You’ve video recorded a birthday party and wish to hold on to it as a keepsake.
- You wish to broadcast a podcast or radio station with zero intentions of promoting
brands, products, services or receiving money through donations or sponsors.
- You’re an employee of a corporate company preparing an internal presentation.
(An external presentation on a website or YouTube would require a Standard License).
Commercial and non-commercial projects including YouTube monetization, paid work, web advertise, company marketing, product presentation, music on hold, etc.
You’ll need a Standard License if:
- You want to monetize your YouTube videos with fresh music!
- You’re running a fundraising video campaign in hopes of receiving donations.
- You’re a freelance video editor producing videos for clients to be posted on social media.
- You’re responsible for digital marketing within your company and want to create video content promoting products and services for social media.
- You want to add background music to your website to enhance customer experience when browsing digital products.
Price: £49 / £149
Broadcast License allows for up to 10 million audience reach
Full-Scale License allows for an unlimited audience reach
Further to the uses authorized by the Standard License, these licenses allow for commercial and non-commercial projects including TV, radio, background music in public spaces, podcasts, music on hold, etc.
You’ll need a Broadcast or Full-scale License if:
- You want to receive AdRev, sponsors, donations, etc through a podcast.
- Your company want to publish and sell a game through an app store.
- Your company want to license a song for their “on hold” phone services.
- Your company want to license a song for TV or radio Ad placements.
- You’re a store owner and wish to play background music for customers.
Standard Access Pass – £199
Broadcast Access Pass – £449
Full-Scale Access Pass – £749
Unlimited downloads/project uses
Each access corresponds with each commercial license i.e. Standard Access Pass covers uses under the Standard license and allows for unlimited downloads on unlimited project uses, forever.
We would recommend opting for a membership plan if:
- You constantly make content for your monetized YouTube channel.
- Your company want to publish marketing videos and need a constant flow of background music.
- You need background tracks for your weekly podcast show.
- You’re a busy wedding videographer and need a catalogue of music at the ready.
- You’re a store owner and wish to play a wide variety background music for customers.